Homemade Coconut Milk
What you need
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 cups boiling water
- pinch of salt
- nylon pantyhose/cheesecloth/nut milk bag
- Put coconut and hot water into a pan and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
- Pour the mixture in blender and blend for several minutes until thick and creamy.
- Use pouch made by cutting the nylon pantyhose, Cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Pour the liquid from the blender into the pouch and let the coconut milk drip down into the bowl.
- Gather the pouch at the top, twist and gently squeeze as much coconut milk from the solids as possible. The remaining coconut pulp should be fairly dry.
- Transfer the coconut milk into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use. The coconut milk will keep 3-4 days, maybe a little longer. Since there are no preservatives or fillers, the "cream" of the coconut milk may separate on the top if stored in the fridge. Just shake or stir before using.